It’s Thanksgiving Day here in sunny Panama City, Florida…
So Happy Thanksgiving…Wherever You Are!
To accommodate the jammed up social schedule of our very welcome guest, Andrew, we had our celebratory dinner yesterday. And, it was indeed fine.
Splendid eats and heart-warming stories from the years Andrew and our late son, Walker, were growing up as next-door neighbors and best friends.
Although he now does his laser engineering gigs way up in Maryland, since we lost Walker in 2006, Andrew’s never missed spending Thanksgiving with us, his 2nd family.
And, no matter where he is, he’s also managed to spend a few days with us on the anniversary of that needless tragedy.
I hope you’ll never have any idea how spiritually warming, and at the same time, heart-breakingly sad, Andrew’s love, attention and his presence, effects us…
And, I’ll be forever thankful and grateful for this young man’s place in our lives.
I’d intended this post to be a quick list of at least 10 things I’m grateful for. Never intended to bring in anything so emotional as I’ve done.
Sorry about that, and intend to remedy this with a few up-lifting Thanksgiving themed quotes…
- We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have… Frederick Keonig
- A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues… Cicero
- We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude… Cynthia Ozick
- I love Thanksgiving turkey… it’s the only time in LA that you see natural breasts… Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it… William Arthur Ward
- You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled… Charles Haddon Spurgeon
- If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get… Frank A. Clark
- I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers… Kahlil Gibran
- Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart… Seneca
- Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way too often… Johnny Carson
- Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence… Erma Bombeck
Hope you enjoyed the quotes as much as I did finding them.
OK, here’s one more for the road:
When I was a kid in Indiana, we thought it would be fun to get a turkey a year ahead of time and feed it and so on for the following Thanksgiving. But by the time Thanksgiving came around, we sort of thought of the turkey as a pet, so we ate the dog. Only kidding. It was the cat!”
Thanksgiving is all about family and being thankful for our blessings, may they be ever so humble. So, loosen up and enjoy your Funky Turkey Day…
And, GO LIONS!
Ideas for me, your aging related story, or comments are very damn welcome…